View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 01:16 AM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3988 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dirvorce proceedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorpixie View Post
Morning everyone!
I am a 42 years old housewife and wants to end a marriage in peace.
Me and my husband bought an EC as matrimonial home and it has now turned into a private condominium .
However due to certain personal issues, I have since moved out of our matrimonial home and my daughter lives with him and my mother in law.
I quit my career for my firstborn and take cares of her since.
Now that she is 18 years old and I have been living in a rented apartment with my elderly parents for almost 4 years.
Yet we are not divorced at all.
I want to seek advise from some of you who have been through the same situation as me. The more similar the more helpful it is for me.
I have zero savings because my freelance work barely covers my expenses and both my elderly parents who are not working too.
I want to get a hdb flat so that i dont have to pay for unnecessary rent for the rest of my life.
What happens to the cpf Ive contributed for the matrimonial home?
And if we end the marriage in papers, what are the next thing to expect and forsee for me?
Can i get an hdb flat since im already 42 years old?
But i am penniless. So how does it work?
Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.
Please help.. Im lost.
Having read through a lot of the comments that other bros have contributed, I don't have anything substantive to add on the financial side. That has already been extensively discussed, and I wish you best outcome possible for you.

I do, however have something to share about ending the marriage in a fuss-free way as possible. I hope what I share below can help you.

Two years ago, my then-wife decided to walk out of the family for another man. I have full care and control as well as joint custody of my two children. The good thing about the whole situation, was that we agreed very early on that we will not have a contested divorce, and that we should minimize lawyer's costs as much as possible.

So yo that end we agreed on ALL the terms of the divorce (Asset split, Alimony, Care and Control, Custody of children) before seeing any lawyers, and we just get one lawyer to essentially put into writing whatever we agreed amongst ourselves. Since I was essentially using my ex-wife's lawyer for the drafting, I had another lawyer friend review the draft document to ensure that the intent was the same, then we settled on a backdated 3-year separation so that we do not have to delay the divorce process any longer.

The entire process from the filing of the divorce papers to the Decree Nisi took me 6 months. I paid 2 visits to the lawyer's office, once to sign the forms and another time to make payment for the bill. The grand total legal bill for me was $2,000. The majority of the 6 months was the customary 3-month waiting period between the provisional judgment and the issue of the final judgement for divorce. There was no need for any lawyer to appear in chambers and we simply waited for time to pass, and the Decree Nisi was granted with minimum fuss.