View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 354 / Power: 18
nyrvana is a living Saint! - you won't find betternyrvana is a living Saint! - you won't find betternyrvana is a living Saint! - you won't find betternyrvana is a living Saint! - you won't find better
Re: Cambodia Phnom Penh Nightlife Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmagicoil View Post
Cannot help but chak jii kah when I read this.

Kebab? Mutton curry? Nan? Are British bar food? I know chicken tikka was voted most popular take-out in Britain but thats Indian food ain't it mate?

U mean Mustafa, that 24hr shopping center, in Little India Singapore charged you USD40 for similar? If so, you can have so much cheaper elsewhere in Little India for USD13 or less too! Comparing apples to apples that is pretty pricy Indian food you had in Cambodia as their living standards so much lower!
Oh sorry, I think my post was confusing haha. From the post I wanted to say; I love the fish and chips there (british bar food). And, to set an example regarding the prices with the more familiar Indian cuisine, I used Madras India as an example.

For similar dishes in Mustafa (we are talking about restaurants, of course I am sure one can find cheaper restaurants in Little India but I have not explored that area fully, thought the best example would be Mustafa's restaurant beside the money changer).

I am not an expert on cambodian economics, but I am sure US$13 for a meal in a restaurant is pretty reasonable for the richer Cambodians (not referring to garment factory workers lah). Of course, there are cheaper food, like banh mi (viet baguette with ham) is US$0.8-1, add a drink total less than US$2 , but thats in something like our SG kopitiam shop.

Ai ya, next time you all go and take a look, there is also Gong Cha/Artease, each drink cost about the same as in SG. But what I am trying to say is that, one can find authentic cuisine (be in italian, indian, british) there without the cutthroat SG prices, and most of these places are run by expats as compared to franchise outlets here which might not serve the same standard of the cuisine back at the home country.

And in response to Indianmagicoil's comment on the cambodian standard of living, yes it is low but their country is developing rapidly. You can see korean outlets like Tour Le Jour, Sarpinos, Burger King popping up everywhere, the prices they serve are almost the same as in SG (Tour Le Jour, breakfast set meal cost something like US$5?), I do see local Cambodians eating there but I noticed that they usually are speaking in English to each other, not discriminating anyone but I guess they should belong in the wealthier and educated tier of people there.

I do believe there are still cambodians living on US$1 per day, but I also think that the wealth gap between the different classes are getting wider with more educated Cambodians either returning back to the country after political strife or through foreign investments.

Wait, are we still in a sex forum? hahaha